Jesus, cast a look on me. Give me sweet simplicity. Make me poor and keep me low. Seeking only Thee to know.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

To pierce or not to pierce?

So-here's a lil' secret a/b me... I want to get a nosering. Well, I wantED to get a nose ring. Isn't it amazing how God reveals things to us...
I think noserings are cool. To me, they give an instant message of "I'm hippie-like; a tree-hugger; do not conform to the world's idea of beauty". However-as a christian with a deep desire to please God in all that I do, feel, think, and say-I couldn't go through with it "just b/c I wanna" (1 Thessalonians 5:6 "So then let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.") So I have been searching for a "christian" reason to back it up-that sounds so ridiculous as I type it.
Here's what I found...
Leviticus 19:28 which says, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord."
Hmmmm.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20,
"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

Not looking favorable for the nosering.
Deuteronomy 14:1(Amp.): "You are the sons of the LORD your God: you shall not cut yourselves, or make any baldness on your foreheads for the dead."
When it speaks here about doing this in relation to the dead; this was a witchcraft rite done to mourn or remember their dead, so cutting, piercing and tattooing have its origin in witchcraft practices. (See Genesis 35:2 for a connection between foreign gods and earrings.)
Ouch.
No nosering for me.
I am not here to say that having a nosering is wrong(or wearing make-up, having nice clothes, etc...). What I can say is that to be the christian that I hope to be, that I know that God wants me to be, I have to make a choice; no straddling the fence here.
My actions either glorify God or they don't.
I will no longer make decisions based on my own desires(but I really want THAT house, or I really look better in red than brown, or that car makes me seem soooo sophisticated). Have mercy!
I am a new creation in Christ. Galatians 2:11 "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

I know what some of you are thinking-do I really think God cares if I have a nosering (or what I watch on TV, or how many cookies I eat...). Yes. Yes I do. And let me tell you why.
B/c God is our creator. He wants what is best for us. Even more so then you fellow parents out there want for your own children. He wants for us
lOVE
jOY
pEACE
pATIENCE
kINDNESS
gOODNESS
fAITHFULNESS
gENTLENESS and
sELF-cONTROL.
And if I find (or think that I've found) any of those attributes through STUFF(cars, toys, clothes, adornments) then I am shortchanging the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
A nosering will not give me love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, or self-control. Hence, it would be a waste of time.
During the time that I have spent pondering this issue, even the time spent to type these words a/b it, could have been spent doing something that would have glorified God.
Phillipians 4:8-9 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praise-worthy-think about such things. And the peace of God will be with you."
If my responsibility is to show people what God has done for me I should look for opportunities to do that by finding common ground with people and being a reflection of Christ. I have to wonder-will having a nosering help me do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment