Jesus, cast a look on me. Give me sweet simplicity. Make me poor and keep me low. Seeking only Thee to know.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Do you know that song by Todd Agnew that says "if Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like this world..."?
I remember the first time I heard that song and those lyrics made my blood run cold. As I looked down at myself I saw my manicured & painted toenails, my JCrew clothes and my MAC make-up spilling over from my purse. Hmmmm...
Not that anything is wrong with pedicures, good taste in clothing, or make-up that works wonders. But God has taught me that its when those things become a necessity and begin to define who you are that you may need to re prioritize. God has freed me from the shackles of material possessions and physical appearances-glory, glory! I remember the days in the not too distant past when I wouldn't leave the house without "my face on"-that means make-up for any guys that may be reading this. These days my nails are polish free, my face is clean, and I prefer my rope sandals to wedges. And I have learned that I will never, could never, be more beautiful than I am in Christ.
Reading from Romans 12 tonight...
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Translation: Often times the patterns of this world are corrupt and selfish. Many Christians wisely decide that much worldly behavior is off limits for them. Our refusal to conform to this world's values, however, must go even deeper than the level of behavior and customs-it must be firmly planted in our minds-"be transformed by the renewing of your mind." It is possible to avoid most worldly customs and still be proud, covetous, selfish, stubborn, and arrogant. Only when the Holy Spirit renews, reeducates, and redirects our minds are we truly transformed.
The translation in my Bible goes on to say that God has good, pleasing, and perfect plans for his children. He wants us to be transformed people with renewed minds, living to honor and obey him.

Lord, I pray that I can use my gifts, which come from you, to your service and not for my personal success.

No comments:

Post a Comment