Jesus, cast a look on me. Give me sweet simplicity. Make me poor and keep me low. Seeking only Thee to know.

Friday, January 29, 2010

I fought the good fight. It started last week with an extremely sore throat. Next, I lost my voice-this made for some creative parenting! And, as expected, came the congestion (why eat that yummy food when I can't even taste it??), cough, weakness, and pressure under my eyes. I decided to throw in the towel today as I could see obvious signs of infection.

I went to the Dr.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Dr.'s(save that they are sinners just like me!). As a matter of fact, you would be hard-pressed to find a person with as much thankfulness and gratitude towards Dr.'s after I saw the way God used them(along with nurses, anesthesiologists, and countless others behind the scenes that I may never know about) to heal our baby girl-Thank you, Lord. (http://georgiagreer.blogspot.com/).
But, like most things in this "crooked and perverse generation", trips to the Dr.'s office, in my opinion, are misused.
Anywho...
as I sat in the waiting room of my Dr's office(whom, incidentally, I went to high school with) I was bombarded with the "latest headlines" running on a national news channel on the ever-present television set. Of course, the "latest, breaking", I am assured from past experience, was neither "late" nor "breaking" but was yet another spin on a topic that had no doubt been beaten to death-Pres. Obama's sticky situation b/t the parties.
The point I'm trying to get at is this...I was discussed, shocked, slightly pleased, but mostly sickened by the fact that Mr. Newsman used the story of the Noahic Flood in his delivery. The blatant way that he belittled the "story" (as if its simply a fairy tale amongst the other fairy tales, i.e. Greeks and Egyptians, made up for amusement but without the inspiration from the Creator of the universe. And most likely, that's all the Noahic Flood, indeed the entire Bible, is to Mr. Newsman). He made assumptions of what God meant (blasphemy!) and even had a visual aid for that extra oomph-an olive branch. lovely.
The small, very small, part of me that was pleased was based on this line of thought...wellll, at least they are talking about God on prime time. I mean, doesn't that open the door, plant seeds with some people that may blossom into curiosity, desire to know Him? And that's a good thing. Now, what God chooses to do with that curiosity is up to God, not them. Not me. Not you.

I read a much more pleasing reference to the dove and olive branch in tonight's devotion by the late Charles Spurgeon. It glorified, honored, and gave the due respect to the event recorded in the Bible, which was "written down for us" and is good for "doctrine, correction, reproof, and instruction in righteousness". You can read it, too. Go here...http://www.answersingenesis.org/devotions/devotions.asp


2Ti 3:16
All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

1Jo 2:1
My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.


Phl 2:14
Do all things without complaining and disputing,
that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.



and for anyone who is interested...
Old Testament (Hebrew)
nĕ'atsah
neh·ä·tsä'
blasphemy, provocation

New Testament (Greek)
blasphēmeō
blä-sfā-me'-ō
blaspheme, speak evil of, rail on, blasphemer, speak blasphemy, blasphemously, misc
blasphēmia
blä-sfā-mē'-ä
blasphemy, railing, evil speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment