Jesus, cast a look on me. Give me sweet simplicity. Make me poor and keep me low. Seeking only Thee to know.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas memories...

My heart is heavy and my mind is confused lately...
When I think back on this Christmas season with friends and family, the memories that stick out to me the most are:
  • the food (yum)
  • my sister-in-law's great taste(decorating her house)
  • holding babies
  • stress
  • exhaustion
  • putting undo stress on my own children
Now wait a minute before you start assuming that I am a "typical" mom who dashes from store to store during the month of December-at any cost, even what's best for my children.
I am not that mom.
I started making our Christmas gifts in October, and had bought things throughout the year to put away for our kids. Our family decided not to put up a Christmas tree anymore and we gave away or stored away for use at church functions, most of our Christmas decorations.
So before anyone takes the easy way out in his/her own mind that I simply overdue Christmas and that explains my desire for simplicity for the next and all following Christmas seasons...I would ask that you quiet your soul and listen to what God is whispering to your heart.

Christmas is supposed to be a time that we, as Christians, set aside a time of year(although Dec. is most likely NOT when Christ our Savior was born) to remember, give thanks, and look ahead in anticipation os His second coming.
dID u dO aNY oF tHAT tHIS Chistmas?
HoNESTLY.
i didn't.
In my heart I did. In my soul I did. In my own head I did. During quiet times w/God I did. But if a stranger had peeked in on any of our family get-togethers this Christmas...
I
LOOKED
LIKE
EVERYONE
ELSE.
Sure, I dress modestly, and usually have a silly hat on my head. I speak more quietly and purposefully these days, since I surrendered to the Holy Spirit.
But, I believe with all that I am, that God WANTS MORE THAN THAT FROM ME.
George Meredith wrote about the "'rapture of the forward view'...As pilgrims, WE MUST MAKE PROGRESS AND NEVER PAUSE IN OUR HEAVENLY JOURNEY. never pause.
We are either advancing forward
or
declining backward."
always.

Not until I reach the promised land will I find rest.
So I ask you...my brothers and sisters in Christ. Were you advancing forward in your sanctification this Christmas season or declining backward?


Philippians 3:14 (NIV)
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


Proverbs 4:18 (NIV)
The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment