Jesus, cast a look on me. Give me sweet simplicity. Make me poor and keep me low. Seeking only Thee to know.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

GODLESS CHATTER

Do you hate small talk?
I do.
In my life B.C. (Before I accepted Christ's free gift of salvation), I used to get so annoyed with small talk! I remember distinctly going off on my "flavor of the month" (boyfriend) in college b/c we were walking across campus after returning from Christmas break and he was speaking to eVERYONE he saw...
"Hi! How was your break?"
"Hey! How are you?"
"What up?"
To me, it was small talk b/c the person didn't even have a chance to really answer the question. Interestingly, and sadly, we learn to exchange pleasantries in passing and its so...so...empty.
These days, my buttons don't get pushed quite as easily but I still refuse to participate in "Godless chatter". If a conversation seems to be going that route, I pray for the Holy Spirit to work through me and engage the person in real conversation. I try to actually get to know the person. Every one of us has a story and everyone one of us, deep down, want and need to tell it.
My brother Paul, his expecting wife, Rachel, and my sister Anna had some great conversations over our recent family vaca. God has nudged us into a habit of discussing Him and His Word as easily as most people discuss the weather. Praise the Lord. We freely discuss scripture that has recently stood out to us, questions that are on our hearts, and ways to spread the Good News to others. It is truly amazing. And now, back in my routine of "Mom" & "house wife" I crave it even more.
For now, I will have to settle for texts from Paul and the occasional visit from Anna.
Ho-Hum.

2 Timothy 2:16
"Avoid Godless chatter because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly."

Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. In my experiences with you Amy I think you really exude this!

    ReplyDelete