Jesus, cast a look on me. Give me sweet simplicity. Make me poor and keep me low. Seeking only Thee to know.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

If God is in control, why does He allow evil?

Remember that song "Things that make you go Hmmmm..." By C&C Music Factory? I'm really showing my age now. Well, here's a question that makes a lot of us go Hmmmm....
If God is in control, why does He allow evil?
God says of Himself and angels declare that He is all-powerful.(Gen. 18:14; Is. 46:10; Jer. 32:27; Lk. 1:37)
My sisters in Christ and I discussed this very topic tonight at Bible Study.
Yes, we all accept that God is all-powerful b/c the Word is truth.
Yes, we accept that we are not intended to know the 'whys?' of God's every will.
Yes, we realize that we live in a fallen world.
And yes, we understand free-will.
But when tragedy strikes you personally, and I mean hits you where it really hurts, all of these truths begin to lose their conviction and many of us ask "Why?"
I did.
When my perfect, beautiful, innocent, precious baby girl was sick, I admit that I struggled with "Why?"
I had many-a "pity-party-for-one" during those days. My husband put me in my place several times...when I asked him "Why us??" He was quick to point out
a. This isn't happening to you, it's happening to her!
b. Why NOT us?
Sickness is part of this world. We are not immune to it just because we are Christians or because we make a lot of money or because we have a beautiful, perfect nursery set up waiting for that little bundle of joy.
But I digress.
Tonight during our discussion someone made an excellent point that stopped me in my tracks...
Maybe, just maybe, God allows evil(i.e. sin) even though He could stop it, because He is revealed thru it.
Oh, mercy, I can hear the comebacks already from some of you. Stay with me here...
Let's imagine our world with NO SIN, and by sin I mean all evil, not just "committing a sin". What would that look like? We would have no need for a Savior! We would all be in total control of ourselves and, boy, would we be self-centered.

Here are some truths that have been revealed to me since my life was interrupted(Hallelujah!):
Truth untested by life's experiences may become static and stagnant.

Suffering can drive us beyond superficial acceptance of truth to dependence on God for hope and life.

The trials and hurts we experience for Christ's sake build our character, demonstrate our faith, and prepare us for further service to the Lord.

-Life Application Bible/New International Version

Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

1 Peter 1:7, "Pure gold put in the fire comes out of it proved pure; genuine faith put through this suffering comes out proved genuine. When Jesus wraps this all up, it's your faith, not your gold, that God will have on display as evidence of his victory." (MSG)

1 comment:

  1. i love this! so encouraging because we have no idea of what's ahead...I hope and pray for a beautiful, healthy child...but what if God's plans are different than that..
    some other verses that help me with my fears when there's not a promise in the Word that it will not happen..such as unhealthy children or the ones that I love dying..

    2 Cor. 12:9
    And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

    Phil 4:6-7
    Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

    Job also paints a great picture in Chapters 38-40.

    Also, I haven't seen this yet, but I heard about this video that is totally on this topic.
    It's Louie Giglio. Anchor of Hope-when life hurts the most.
    Here's part of it that I found:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJOko2Tygg

    Thanks so much for your encouraging words Amy! I love reading! I hope to see you this weekend!

    love, rachel

    ReplyDelete