Jesus, cast a look on me. Give me sweet simplicity. Make me poor and keep me low. Seeking only Thee to know.

Monday, June 15, 2009

The Discipline of Meditation

My adorable sister-in-law, Rachel, said to me this weekend "How do you find time to do everything?? You blog everyday!" :)
I asked her if she noticed at what time most of my postings were written-usually late at night. If you are familiar with my house, you know that it is a noisy place. Late at night, when everyone else is sleeping is the only time that I can tHINK!! During the day my husband's cell phone is constantly ringing, my baby girl is usually screaming (and I mean glass-shattering screams) because I'm not holding her or I momentarily disappeared from her sight, and my always curious 6-year old son is asking me questions like...'How old were you when I was born? Can a plant still grow if a caterpillar is eating it? What year was George Washington born? Do the volcanoes in Hawaii still irrupt?'
AAAAGHghghgh! bE qUIET pLEASE!!!
Sorry.
Anywho-started ch. 2 tonight in Celebration of Discipline and Robert Foster states-"In contemporary society our Adversary"(aka tHE dEVIL!)" majors in 3 things: nOISE, hURRY, and cROWDS. If he can keep us engaged in 'muchness'
and 'manyness' he will rest satisfied."
Wow. How many of us are just opening the door for Satan to enter our lives by the crazy-pace we live at these days?? I had an awesome moment this past weekend. My sister, sister-in-law, and I were all sitting around the dining room table crafting and laughing and sharing. It was so awesome. It reminded me of the old days when women would get together and quilt. We talked about how much those women must have benefited from that bonding time. And how much they must have learned from one another. I long for more of that sense of community in my life.

Titus 2:1-5 (The Message)
"Your job is to speak out on the things that make for solid doctrine. Guide older men into lives of temperance, dignity, and wisdom, into healthy faith, love, and endurance. Guide older women into lives of reverence so they end up as neither gossips nor drunks, but models of goodness. By looking at them, the younger women will know how to love their husbands and children, be virtuous and pure, keep a good house, be good wives. We don't want anyone looking down on God's Message because of their behavior."

So I blog late at night. This is also when I read my Bible and pray. I can't say that I meditate but Foster says in Celebration of Discipline that meditating can be done in several ways including:
-listening to God's words
-reflecting on God's works
-rehearsing God's deeds
-ruminating on God's law

ru⋅mi⋅nate 

–verb (used without object)
1.to chew the cud, as a ruminant.
2.to meditate or muse; ponder.
–verb (used with object)
3.to chew again or over and over.
4.to meditate on; ponder.
Synonyms:2. think, reflect.

So I guess I do meditate.


Psalms63:6 "I think of thee upon my bed , and meditate on thee in the watches of the night."

Many people in the Bible meditated as a way to hear God. Eli, Isaiah, and Jeremiah were all "close to the heart of God. God spoke to them not because they had special abilities, but because they were willing to listen."

No comments:

Post a Comment